Rants and Raves
I have always been a cold weather person.
Fall is my favorite time of the year, when the air gets crisp and the leaves turn. Plus, growing up when (the 1970s) and where (Alabama) that I did, air conditioning was not always standard equipment in houses, schools or cars, so hot weather was to be avoided. As I have gotten older, though, I find that I not that fond of the temperature dropping below my age. My body just doesn’t seem to react as well to the cold as it used to.
So as I sit here in my office, post-noon on April 9, 2010, I am finding myself in a foul mood because I am cold. We are at least three weeks into spring, and last night the temperature dropped into the 30s. The current Weather Channel temperature for Knoxville is 61 degrees, but I don’t believe it for an instant. It might be 61 degrees in the sunlight, but where I am right now, it’s not even close.
So with that being said, it’s on to our current edition of Rants and Raves:
- Cold weather in April. It’s spring. Has been for a while. You should be able to walk barefoot in the house without getting frostbite or having the heat on 75 degrees.
- Clutter. I hate it, but it seems a permanent part of my life. How does everyone else deal with it?
- Grass. Well, not exactly grass, but the fact that it grows. Is it Zoysia that you are only supposed to have to cut about twice a year? That’s probably why it costs an arm and a leg.
- Windows spontaneously restarting in the middle of the night. I understand that Microsoft has to send updates to the operating system periodically. I am also cool with the fact that your computer has to be restarted once they are installed. I am NOT cool with coming into the office in the morning and finding that my computer restarted itself and anything that might have been open and unsaved since the night before is now gone into the great computer cosmos. Give me a message and let me do it in the morning so that I don’t start my day wanting to firebomb Microsoft headquarters.
- Road construction. Again, it’s something that I understand has to be done, but there is a section of I-40 here in Knoxville that is being repaved right now and traffic is an absolute nightmare. Personally, I think interstate road projects should be mandatory 24-7 until they are done, but that’s just me.
- Warm weather in April. After today, it’s supposed to be June for the next week. Gotta love that.
- The lovely Miss Darcy. We did a post-wedding bridal portrait session with her last week and the pictures were amazing. One is below and can’t wait to show you more soon.
- The new Ipad. I don’t need one. I don’t like some of its design flaws (no USB port, no Flash support). I don’t believe all the hype about how it’s going to revolutionize web browsing, email, newspapers, global warming, etc. But man, do I want one.
- Buffalo Wild Wings. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a wing fanatic. I’ve been to BW3 several times and have always been kinda meh about it. But went after a shoot last week and I must say that they have really upgraded their food. The wings were large and tasty. Yum!
- My pastor, Mark McKeehan. He’s just celebrated his first year as lead pastor at our church, Chilhowee Hills Baptist here in Knoxville. He is so passionate about the Lord’s work, furthering the kingdom and serving others. He wants us to be a beacon of light to the East Knoxville Community. I’m glad he’s our pastor!